I’m not joking when I say that this Hashtag Hack will change your life.
If you’re using Instagram for your biz, then you must be using hashtags. And if you’re using hashtags, you’ve probably wondered if there was a quicker way to add hashtags to your post without having to constantly retype them each time.
Well, guess what? There is!
In this post I’m sharing how you can use your iPhone Text Replacement function to quickly and easily add 30 different hashtags to every single Insta post… in literally 2 seconds. Nope, that’s not an exaggeration. And yes, you can thank me later.
WHY USE HASHTAGS?
Hashtags are used so that content is more easily discover-able. As an Insta user, it can be fun to find hashtags to follow and check out all the posts. For example, let’s say you absolutely love unicorns – find a hashtag about unicorns, click on it, and suddenly you’re in unicorn heaven. You’re now seeing all the images that were tagged with that particular unicorn hashtag.
As a business, you want all the unicorn lovers out there to see your unicorn pics. Therefore, adding that unicorn-related hashtag to your images of unicorns is key to getting new people to see your posts.
Instagram also has an option where you can follow hashtags instead of following specific people. So if you want a daily dose of unicorns, you can follow unicorn-related hashtags and they’ll show up on your feed – without you having to search for them.
HOW MANY HASHTAGS SHOULD YOU USE?
The cool thing is, you can use up to 30 hashtags per post. I personally like to use all 30 hashtags, because 30 hashtags equals 30 chances for new people to see my content.
The downside of this is that it can be a pain to type out 30 hashtags every. single. time I post. Ugh.
You may have heard the trick about saving your hashtags to your Notes app in your phone, then just copying and pasting them in. You could do this – or you could take it a step further and save even MORE time!
Before I show you this hashtag hack, let’s back up a little…
THE HASHTAG BANK
Firstly, how many hashtags are you actually using? I don’t mean per post – I mean, how’s your Hashtag Bank looking?
A hashtag bank is a curated collection of up to 100 niche hashtags specific to your brand, that you can rotate on your posts. It’s like having your own, custom hashtag library, and I’m not kidding when I say you NEED to have this.
Because if you use the same 30 hashtags over and over again, each and every time you post, Instagram will think you are spamming people.
STEP 1: CURATING YOUR HASHTAG BANK
If you haven’t already, you’ll need to spend some time researching your hashtags and compiling a list. I’ll be honest here… figuring out the best hashtags can take some time. To help you out, here are some quick tips for your hashtag research:
- You should have different categories for different types of pictures. You can have hashtags for general travel, solo travel, location independent lifestyle, and more. Break them down into categories so they are easy to use later on.
- Have a look at the number of people using them – you don’t want to use hashtags that have been used 1 billion times or even 1 million times. Focus on hashtags that are used less frequently by using hashtags that have been used 10K-100K times. You should find some that have been used 10K, some that have been used 50K, and a few at 100K. Spread it out so you have the highest chance of being discovered. You want your post to come up first when someone searches the hashtag.
- You don’t want to use too many hashtags under 10k, because it means people probably aren’t checking that hashtag. The exception here is branded hashtags, or hashtags that you use for humour value only, or to make a point. #becausehashtagsarefun (See what I did there?)
- Curate a minimum of 100 hashtags that are relevant to your niche / brand / location.
STEP 2: ORGANISING YOUR HASHTAG BANK
If you’ve managed to pull together 100 or more hashtags, you deserve a treat. The hardest part is done! Go get yourself a donut. Or maybe a wine…
The next step is to take that list of 100, and divide it up into 4 groups of 25 hashtags each.
The reason I recommend 25, is that it allows you room to add up to 5 additional hashtags to your post. These could be specific to the content of your post, or specific to your product, or even just for fun/humour etc. It also ensures that you are never posting the same 30 hashtags over and over again. #hellospammer
Another tip here is to make sure that each group of 25 has a good mix of niche, industry, community and location based hashtags.
STEP 3: THE HASHTAG HACK
Once you have your hashtags sorted into groups, this is where the magic happens!
Grab your iPhone, and…
- Open Settings
- Select General
- Select Keyboard
- Select Text Replacement
- Click the ‘+’ at the top right of your screen
- Type (or paste) your first list of 25 hashtags into the ‘Phrase’ field.
- Type the text shortcut you’d like to use into the ‘Shortcut’ field. For example, I have 6 different hashtag lists, with the shortcuts ht1, ht2, ht3, and so on.
- Hit ‘Save’.
- You can now use this shortcut in your Instagram caption (or first comment if you prefer): just type ht1, then tap the spacebar or return and the list of 25 hashtags will appear #likemagic
- Repeat the process for your remaining 3 groups.
Now you can simply rotate through your hashtag lists each time you post on Instagram.
More of a visual learner? No problemo – here’s a quick walkthrough on my own phone…
I’d love to know what you think of this time-saving hashtag hack… do you do this already? Or have I just blown your mind? Let me know in the comments!
LOVED THIS? PIN IT!