The truth is, thriving without an online presence in this digital age can be difficult. To achieve optimal results, you need to work to effectively increase your social media engagement. Engagement is interacting with people, friends or followers using posts, videos, adverts or events. Their interaction could be likes, comments, shares, saves, reposts, or simply views.
(You should note that techniques may differ from one social media platform to the other. So, what applies to Instagram may not be applicable on Facebook or any other platform. However, there are some general methods for increasing engagement on your socials.)
How To Increase Your Social Media Engagement
Use Eye-Catching Images and Graphics
Using pictures is a good way to tell stories, and a great way to stop people mid-scroll. As humans, our eyes are naturally drawn to pictures. Remember the saying, “A picture tells a thousand words”? Well, that’s never been truer on social media. Interestingly, in some cases an image may even have more impact without a caption, but this is something you definitely need to test for yourself.
Just Be Human
86% of consumers say that authenticity is an important factor when they decide with brands to support.
Storytelling is one of the best ways to grab someone’s attention and keep it. It’s also a great way to create near-instant rapport with your followers… you know, build a connection (see previous point!)
Why do you do what you do? What makes you stand out from everyone else in your niche? What kind of problems have you solved for your customer? Tell those stories! Use your knowledge of your target audience to create posts that you know will resonate with them. Remember, people are more likely to do business from people they know, like and trust, and there’s no better way to build trust than by opening up, being vulnerable, and sharing your own story.
Your followers crave real people stories, so don’t be afraid to celebrate your customers’ stories, too.
Be a Social Butterfly (online)
Social media is all about… being social! Posting and engaging on your own social media posts is necessary, but what you also need to be doing getting off your own social accounts and interacting with others. What does this look like? Well, on Facebook, it means…
- Finding other (non-competing) businesses that have a similar target audience as you, and liking their page as your business page. Then regularly engaging and commenting on their posts as your business. The key here is not to be spruiking your own biz, but genuinely engaging, starting conversations and providing value. Set aside some time each day to do this.
- Adding value in Facebook groups that have your target audience as members. Again, adding value means engaging, freely helping others without expecting anything in return, answering questions, and just being a good human. (#protip: ensure that you have your business linked in the About section of your personal profile, so that anyone who stalks you can easily find your business. You’ll also find a few other tips about making sure your Facebook business page is on point here).
And on Instagram…
- As with Facebook, find other (non-competing) businesses that have a similar target audience as you to follow, and engage with them regularly.
- Immediately after posting to your own account, spend some time engaging (so commenting, liking, following) with both your own followers, and new accounts that aren’t following you yet but you would consider them your ‘dream client’.
- Identify the hashtags that your ideal client use, and take the time to genuinely engage with those, too.
Timing Is Everything
You need to know what time works best for your posts!
Do people interact with your posts more in the morning or in the evening? At what time do you frequently have high traffic? When is your audience actually online? These are important variables that will guide you as you strive to boost your social media engagement. Regularly check your insights on Facebook and Instagram to see what’s working best, then tweak as required. When you find that “sweet spot”, then you can rinse and repeat!
Use Hashtags on Instagram
Sometimes your followers just need a little encouragement!
Asking questions is a great way to spark conversation and increase your social media engagement. People love sharing their experiences and asking questions makes it easy for them to share what they think.
The easiest way to get people engaged is to ask ‘YES or NO’ questions. Everyone has an opinion, and provided it doesn’t take too much effort to interact with you, they’ll answer. You can create a version of yes/no question by asking about favorite product, colour, location or other preference.
Another way to use invite engagement is by making use of the tools Facebook and Instagram provide, such as polls, stickers, questions etc. Use them on your feed and in your stories to get your followers interacting with you.
Other ways to invite engagement include:
- asking a question at the end of your post
- including a prompt in your post, such as “Tag a friend who needs to hear this!”
Consistency Is Key
Don’t give up! Building a brand presence on social media takes time. And remember, there is no one-size-fits-all technique. It’s only with regular posting, testing and tweaking of your strategy, that you’ll find out what works best.
LOVED THIS? PIN IT!